Ask An Attorney: Temporary Support for Wife When Abusive Husband Controls Finances?

Welcome to You Be The Judge. Today’s question comes from Roseburg. The question is this: the writer wants to know what you can do; she’s in an abusive relationship with her husband. She doesn’t know where any of the bank accounts are. He handles all the finances. She has no access to money and she can’t even come up with money to hire an attorney.

My name is Steven Leskin. I am a divorce and family law attorney in Portland.  You can find me at I post new content every Monday once and Friday about 10 o’clock. If you like what you see please like, subscribe, or comment below. Your engagement is valued.

So what do you think? You be the judge: The writer is in an abusive relationship, doesn’t have access to cash, doesn’t know what the bank accounts are, the husband is abusive. What would you do?

I would advise her to file a Petition for Dissolution with the court and at the same time she files that, she can also file a motion for temporary relief that gives her access to exclusive use of the house, temporary spousal support, and potentially suit money. And if they’re kids, that will also give her child support and temporary custody if she prevails. So what do you think? She would Prevail or not enough information to know?

My name is Steven Leskin. I’m a divorce attorney in Portland you can find me at

Thank you for watching.

Call Leskin Law & Mediation

Call or use the contact form to schedule a consultation to discuss if the One Day Divorce process is right for you. There is no charge for this consultation. By the end of the call, you will know when your divorce can be finalized and how much it will cost. You will feel better.

CALL NOW 971 930 4716